Mr . dick’s gingerbread
INGREDIENTS (Serves 10-12)
450g self-rising flour; 4 eggs; 4tbsp milk; 1tbsp ground ginger (heaped); 1tsp ground cloves; 280g black treacle; 280g golden syrup; 2tbsp/175g soft brown or muscovado sugar; 170g butter, plus extra for greasing; zest of 2 lemons or oranges; 2–3tbsp chopped stem ginger (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/ 170°C/Gas 3. Grease and line a 9in/23cm square cake tin.
2. Whisk the eggs thoroughly with the milk, until they start to froth.
3. Sift the flour and spices into a large bowl. Measure the molasses/black treacle and syrup into a saucepan (this is easiest to do using a metal spoon heated in hot water). Add the sugar, butter, and zest.
4. Heat very gently until the butter is just melted. Pour this into a well in the flour, beating vigorously.
5. When it is well blended, add the egg and milk mixture and the stem ginger, if using, beating well until you can see bubbles forming on the surface.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 90 minutes until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
7. Store in an airtight container or wrapped in foil for a day or two before eating to let the flavours develop.
Mr. Dick’s Gingerbread is mentioned in David Copperfield