Ri­vals draw to edge closer as Pom­pey slip

Burton Mail - - Sport -

SUN­DER­LAND and Luton Town shared the points in a 1-1 draw at the Sta­dium of Light in the big game of the day in League One as both teams ended the match with 10 men.

Vic­tory for the Black Cats would have seen them leapfrog their op­po­nents and move up to sec­ond place and they made the per­fect start when Chris Maguire scored after 16 min­utes.

Luton, who lost man­ager Nathan Jones this week to Stoke City, lev­elled in the 67th minute through James Collins’ penalty but, after get­ting back in the game, Danny Hyl­ton was then sent off three min­utes later.

Sun­der­land were un­able to make their nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage count and Maguire also re­ceived a red card in added time.

It meant Portsmouth’s lead at the top of the ta­ble was trimmed to four points, as Pom­pey lost 1-0 at home to Black­pool. Chris Long’s 74thminute goal set­tled the game.

Charl­ton Ath­letic and Barns­ley were able to nar­row the gap to the au­to­matic pro­mo­tion places as both recorded com­fort­able 3-0 wins.

Lyle Tay­lor, Dar­ren Prat­ley and Kar­lan Ahearne-Grant, from the penalty spot, were on tar­get in the Ad­dicks’ suc­cess away to Shrews­bury Town.

The Tykes de­feated Brad­ford City at Oak­well cour­tesy of goals from Ja­cob Brown, Ki­ef­fer Moore and Alex Mowatt.

Lee Tom­lin cel­e­brated his 30th birth­day with a goal as he set Peter­bor­ough United on their way to a 2-1 vic­tory against Rochdale on his re­turn to the club. Ge­orge Cooper also scored for Posh be­fore Ethan Hamil­ton’s last-minute re­ply for the vis­i­tors.

Peter­bor­ough’s win saw them move back into the play-off places at the ex­pense of Don­caster Rovers, who con­ceded late goals to lose 3-2 to Wy­combe Wan­der­ers.

Rovers were in con­trol after strikes from John Mar­quis and Tommy Rowe but Paris Cowan-Hall re­duced the Chair­boys’ ar­rears after 77 min­utes. Cur­tis Thomp­son equalised for Wy­combe in the fi­nal minute be­fore Cowan-Hall headed the win­ner deep into added time.

Ply­mouth Argyle were the only team in the bot­tom four to win on Satur­day as they pre­vailed 3-2 away to Southend United. An­toni Sarce­vic, Fred­die Ladapo and Ruben Lameiras gave Argyle a three-goal lead but Si­mon Cox, from the penalty spot, and Char­lie Kel­man net­ted late replies.

AFC Wim­ble­don stay bot­tom after draw­ing 1-1 away to Coven­try City. Jake Jervis gave the Dons an early lead but Derby County loa­nee Luke Thomas lev­elled in the sec­ond half.

Sec­ond-half goals from James Henry and Jamie Mackie saw Ox­ford United bat­tle back for a 2-2 draw away to Fleet­wood Town, who had led through first-half strikes from Wes Burns and Paddy Mad­den.

Bris­tol Rovers ex­tended their un­beaten League run to five games with a goal­less draw away to Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley, while Scun­thorpe United made it four wins on the bounce with a 2-1 vic­tory at Wal­sall.

Lee No­vak net­ted the win­ner after Nicky Devlin had can­celled out Funso Ojo’s opener for the Iron.


Scott Fraser’s first-half free kick beats Gilling­ham goal­keeper To­mas Holy but re­bounds out off the post. The Scot did go on to cel­e­brate two goals for the Brew­ers (in­set) in the sec­ond pe­riod.

Sun­der­land’s Chris Maguire scores the open­ing goal against Luton Town.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.