Breese puts wind up Barry

Early strike sets up Cofis for an­other fa­mous cup win

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

GI­ANT-KILLERS Caernar­fon Town have landed a plum tie at home to Welsh Premier League cham­pi­ons The New Saints in the last 16 of the 2017/18 JD Welsh Cup.

The Ca­naries, who knocked out Barry Town United of the WPL last Sun­day and reached the semi­fi­nals last sea­son, will re­new ri­val­ries with six-time cup win­ners TNS in round four come the end of Jan­uary.

Caernar­fon hosted the full-timers in the 2014/15 com­pe­ti­tion and led 2-0 at The Oval be­fore the Park Hall out­fit bat­tled back to win 3-2 on their way to lift­ing the tro­phy.

Town also put up a fine show at TNS in the Nathaniel MG Cup ear­lier this sea­son de­spite go­ing down 2-0. Next month’s clash could prove ev­ery bit as ex­cit­ing as the first Welsh Cup clas­sic with the Cofis top of the Huws Gray Al­liance and de­ter­mined to prove again that they be­long in the top flight.

Sean Eard­ley’s heroes, who elim­i­nated Welsh Premier teams Car­marthen and Rhyl en route to the last four of the cup last sea­son, turned on the magic again last Sun­day by dump­ing out top-flighters Barry. There was early drama at The Oval when Barry livewire Kayne McLag­gon went down in the box un­der chal­lenge from Joe Wil­liams, but no penalty was given.

Soon after, fine build-up be­tween Joe Wil­liams and Clive Wil­liams set up Jamie Breese to ap­ply a cool fourth-minute fin­ish to edge the Cofis ahead. Watched by a crowd of 1,150, Caernar­fon were well on top in the first half, Mike Lewis per­form­ing marvels to keep out a Nathan Craig free kick and pro­duc­ing a cou­ple more good stops.

At the other end, Alex Ram­say made a mirac­u­lous save to deny Drew Fahiya after McLag­gon had caused havoc. Then right on half time, Craig made it 2-0 with a sub­lime free kick from 25 yards.

After the break, the Welsh Premier vis­i­tors pushed hard to get back into the game, Ram­say do­ing well to push a Cal­lum Sainty ef­fort over be­fore Fahiya struck the post.

But the Ca­naries would not be knocked off their perch.

A de­lighted boss Eard­ley said after the game: “Ev­ery­one was dead on their feet at the end, but the Cofi Army pulled us through. They were tremen­dous – as were the Barry sup­port­ers. Two good foot­balling sides went at it and we’re de­lighted to be in the next round.”

A sport­ing Eard­ley also felt Barry were un­lucky not to be awarded the early penalty.

“We’d have called for it had it hap­pened at the other end,” he said. “Some­times you get those, some­times you don’t.”

Man of the match Craig added: “We proved again to­day where this club should be. It was vi­tal that we got the early goal and to score a sec­ond just be­fore half time was cru­cial.”

Caernar­fon, three points clear at the HGA sum­mit, re­turn to league com­bat this Satur­day with a trip to Caer­sws.

Pic­tures by RICHARD BIRCH

● Jamie Breese of Caernar­fon Town cel­e­brates his open­ing goal against Barry Town with the play­ers en­joy­ing claim­ing an­other scalp (be­low)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.