Port pay a penalty in stale­mate

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

PORTH­MADOG close their sea­son at home to Holy­well Town this Satur­day know­ing they must set­tle for sev­enth place in the Huws Gray Al­liance fol­low­ing Mon­day’s 1-1 home draw with Flint Town United.

It looked like the three points were des­tined for Craig Papirnyk’s side be­fore the Silk­men struck with an added­time penalty.

Port pushed for­ward from the start and, af­ter just three min­utes, Sion Bradley tested goal­keeper Elliot Quin­lan with a low shot.

Ju­lian Wil­liams had a strike de­flected wide and, when the ball came to Josh Banks fol­low­ing a Sion Ed­wards cor­ner, the de­fender’s ef­fort flew only inches above the an­gle of bar and far post.

Even­tu­ally the goal came on 21 min­utes from a piece of op­por­tunism by lead­ing scorer Joe Chap­lin.

When keeper Quin­lan failed to hold To­mos Em­lyn’s right wing cross into the goal­mouth, Chap­lin pounced to net from close range for his 26th goal of the sea­son, bet­ter­ing the 25 by Carl Owen in 2002-03.

Flint might well have equalised just two min­utes later but for the alert­ness of Richard Har­vey back-ped­alling quickly to gather Richie Foulkes’s header.

The visi­tors came more into the game to­wards the end of the half, with Rob Jones’s cor­ner cleared off the line.

In the clos­ing stages, when Bradley crossed from the left, Carl Rodgers was for­tu­nate to see his sliced at­tempted clear­ance drop into the hands of his goal­keeper.

Flint came out strongly in the sec­ond half and within two min­utes Har­vey had to be out quickly to block a Kyle Smith ef­fort down at his feet.

Port re­sponded as an Ed­wards free kick was pushed away for a cor­ner by Quin­lan.

As the half wore on, Port were be­ing pushed back in­creas­ingly and out-mus­cled by a phys­i­cally strong Flint side. Har­vey was in the ac­tion again, go­ing down to halt a threat from Shaun Beck.

In the first minute of added time, ref­eree Tom Owen spot­ted a hand­ball of­fence in the box and awarded a penalty, which Foulkes drove into the cor­ner of the net.

Port could have won the game in the open­ing half but, over­all, a draw was a re­sult dif­fi­cult to quib­ble with.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.