Pwll warm­ing up for clash of ti­tans

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

SOME­ONE’S un­beaten record is likely to go this Satur­day when WRU Di­vi­sion One North’s two prin­ci­pal heavy­weights meet in their lat­est bat­tle.

Pwll­heli, who have won their open­ing two matches, travel to Nant Conwy, ta­ble-top­pers with four straight vic­to­ries.

Af­ter Pwll lifted the ti­tle three sea­sons in a row, Nant stopped the rot last term by end­ing up as cham­pi­ons.

Pwll­heli ad­vanced to the next round of the na­tional WRU Plate last Satur­day with a 29-15 tri­umph over Bethesda at Parc Bode­groes.

The Llyn side al­ways held the up­per hand, al­though Pesda put up a fine ef­fort.

Eleven min­utes in, Pwll pushed the ball left and for once exposed the strong Bethesda de­fence.

The ball was quickly trans­ferred right, swiftly moved along the back-line and full-back John Pugh was put into space to score wide out.

For the next 15 min­utes it was nip and tuck.

Both teams cre­ated op­por­tu­ni­ties which were not taken un­til Pwll­heli again opened up the pow­er­ful Pesda rear­guard, right wing Osian Parry Jones crash­ing over in the corner.

Bethesda re­acted with gusto to this set­back. With fly-half Ger­wyn Thomas mak­ing ground through as­tute kick­ing, they drove to­wards the Pwll­heli line.

The home side with­held the ini­tial thrusts but suc­cumbed when flanker Gethin Harper clev­erly used the blind side to score. Thomas added a tight con­ver­sion.

Pwll­heli re­sponded de­ci­sively with a try from cap­tain Tom Parry, but Bethesda had the last say of the first half when Thomas kicked a fine penalty, mak­ing it 15-10 at the break.

The pack earned Pwll­heli’s fourth try early in the se­cond half, skip­per Parry ground­ing again and Parry Jones con­vert­ing.

If the home side thought the Bethesda team were done they were wrong. From a slick move, an over­lap was cre­ated for hard­work­ing scrum-half Car­wyn Wil­liams to touch down and keep his side very much in con­tention at 22-15.

Pwll­heli pow­ered back again and Parry achieved his hat­trick, Parry Jones adding the two points.

The kick put Pwll­heli 14 points clear and, de­spite Bethesda’s com­mit­ment, there was no fur­ther scor­ing.

Pwll­heli sec­onds, with sev­eral play­ers miss­ing through in­jury or un­avail­abil­ity, had an ex­cel­lent af­ter­noon by top­pling pre­vi­ously un­beaten Den­bigh sec­onds 23-19.

Pwll­heli scored three tries through se­cond row Owain Roberts and backs Gethin V Jones and Tudur El­lis. Cap­tain Alan Roberts added one con­ver­sion and two penal­ties.

The Pwll­heli Youths were well beaten by a stronger more ex­pe­ri­enced Nant Conwy in a Welsh Cup match. Sole score for Pwll­heli was a try by Iwan Em­lyn as they lost 41-5.

There will be a bus to Pwll­heli first team’s match at Nant Conwy this Satur­day. Check with the club for de­tails.

The sec­onds are away to Den­bigh in the Welsh Bowl, while Pwll Youth host Bro Ffestiniog in a league match.

● Pwll­heli’s John Pugh speeds past the Bethesda tack­les to score in the corner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.