Pwll­heli out­side-half had emer­gency surgery on dis­lo­cated spine:

Caernarfon Herald - - FRONT PAGE - Jon Doel

ANORTH Wales rugby player who suf­fered a se­ri­ous spinal in­jury on the field is now re­cov­er­ing at home.

Pwll­heli RFC player Mathew Parry was just 35 min­utes into a match at Bethesda in Di­vi­sion One on Septem­ber 15 when dis­as­ter struck.

He spent 90 min­utes on the ground wait­ing for an am­bu­lance and was taken to Ys­byty Gwynedd in Ban­gor with a sig­nif­i­cant neck and spine in­jury, be­fore be­ing trans­ferred to the Royal Univer­sity Hospi­tal, Stoke, for­for spe­cial­ist­spe­cial­ist treat­ment, Wales On­lineOn­line re­ports.

The 35-year-oldold scaf­folder un­der-rwent emer­gen­cyy surgery to fuse bones and insert a plate into the top of his spine af­ter it was dis­cov­ered that he hadd dis­lo­cated the C6C6 and C7 ver­te­brae inin his neck – the par­tart ofof the spine that pro­vides­vides thethe neck with struc­tural­ral sup­port­sup­port an­dand flex­i­bil­ity. He also chipped part of the C5 ver­te­brae.

Doc­tors are un­able to tell the Pwll­heli RFC out­side-half if the feel­ing he has lost in the left side of his up­per body will ever re­turn. His rugby ca­reer, how­ever, is def­i­nitely over.

Now, just over a fort­night from near catas­tro­phe on the rugby field, he is back home, but has been told the road ahead is long.

His fi­ancée Lynne El­lis said: “Mathew is in a lot of pain and will be in a neck brace for at least the next six months.

“At the moment he is strug­gling to sleep be­cause the pain is so bad.

“He is down at the moment and it is go­ing to be dif­fi­cult for him to come to terms with the fact he can’t do what he loves do­ing af­ter this.”

She added: “The doc­tors couldn’t be­lieve how close he was to be­ing quad­ri­plegic. They warned us when he went in for the op­er­a­tion that it could still go wrong and that he could come out of it paral­ysed. It was very scary.

“They can’t tell us what is go­ing to hap­pen, we just have to wait and see. They don’t know if he will re­cover the feel­ing in his left side be­cause of all the nerve dam­age.”

Within sec­onds of the blow he took to the neck, Parry and those in at­ten­dance as Pwll­heli played at thethe home­home ofof hhis for­mer club Bethes­daBethesda RFC, knew someth­some­thing was wrong. ““MathewM is a very toutough player. He nen­ever stays down when he gets hurt. He tried to get up but knew ththat some­thing wwas re­ally wrong”, LyLynne said. “The phy­physio and the doctodoc­tor ran on to the pitch­pitch aand I stayed on thethe sidelin­sid­e­line ini­tially. Then II saw­saw some­one­some­one pullp out a mo­bile phone and I knew it was very se­ri­ous.

“I went on to the pitch and the doc­tor told me it was se­ri­ous. Mathew’s voice was go­ing which was one of the symp­toms of his in­jury.

“We had to wait 90 min­utes for the am­bu­lance and we called three times to say ‘this is se­ri­ous’, but they couldn’t get there any quicker.”

Friend Matt Har­ring­ton has set up a fundrais­ing page for Mathew, who now faces an un­cer­tain fu­ture. More than £4,200 has al­ready been raised at the time of writ­ing, with fur­ther col­lec­tions and raf­fles planned by Pwll­heli RFC and the lo­cal rugby com­mu­nity.

● Mathew Parry tried to stand up af­ter suf­fer­ing a se­ri­ous spinal in­jury play­ing for Pwll­heli RFC. In­set: Mathew and his daugh­ter Cadi Hâf

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.