Caernarfon Herald - - NEWS -

MOUN­TAIN res­cuers have been called out 200 times so far this year af­ter a busy week­end saw them hit the land­mark af­ter at­tend­ing six in­ci­dents in one day.

The Llan­beris Moun­tain Res­cue Team was out from 9am till 9pm on Satur­day and reached the dou­ble cen­tury a week ear­lier than in 2017.

The first res­cue in­volved a mem­ber of a “well-or­gan­ised” group who had fallen on slip­pery rocks at Llyn Cwyn Ffyn­non and was knocked un­con­scious. Five res­cuers went to the ca­su­alty’s aid who was then flown to Ys­byty Gwynedd by coast­guard he­li­copter.

At 12.41 the team had a call about some­one suf­fer­ing se­vere cramp de­scend­ing the Llan­beris Path. Ad­vice was given and they con­tin­ued on their jour­ney.

The third res­cue in­volved a hill walker in their 40s who col­lapsed and was strug­gling to breathe on the sum­mit of Snow­don. He was given food and drink by pass­ing walk­ers and was able to walk down.

On the fourth call-out a spokesman said: “We re­ceived a call at around 2.20pm from a cou­ple at­tempt­ing to de­scend from the Clog­wyn Y Per­son ridge where they had be­come crag­fast and one had torn a ham­string. De­spite the best ef­forts of the Mar­itime & Coast­guard Agency He­li­copter Res­cue 936, they were un­able to drop a team nearer than Clog­wyn Sta­tion.

“A team mem­ber en­joy­ing a day’s scram­bling nearby was able to di­vert and se­cure the ca­su­alty.

“Af­ter a long walk in, the ca­su­alty was reached, a rope sys­tem built and they were brought back up the ridge where the LLMRT mem­bers were joined by six mem­bers of Og­wen Val­ley Moun­tain Res­cue Team who had car­ried a stretcher up and then helped with the evac­u­a­tion to Clog­wyn Sta­tion where the he­li­copter was able to re­turn and pick up.”

While the team were deal­ing with that in­ci­dent, two fur­ther calls came in. One was an el­derly walker who had leg pains, felt un­able to con­tinue down the Llan­beris Path and was helped down by Land Rover.

At 6.43pm, they were called to re­ports of an un­con­scious moun­tain biker on the Miner’s Track. Two team mem­bers and a team doc­tor at­tended in a Land Rover, the biker had lost con­scious­ness for a short time and had sus­tained some fa­cial in­juries.

Alun All­cock, LLMRT chair­man said: “The ded­i­ca­tion and per­sonal sac­ri­fices of team mem­bers and their fam­i­lies that en­able us to re­spond to over 200 in­ci­dents in a year is stag­ger­ing.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.