Ne­fyn progress in Cw­pan

Caernarfon Herald - - SPORT -

but his header glanced wide.

Guils­field came out strongly af­ter the restart, Cal­lum Brom­ley’s shot scram­bled off the line be­fore, from an Adam Jenk­ins free kick, Pritchard, de­spite a late de­flec­tion, pro­duced a su­perb save.

Pritchard pro­duced an even bet­ter stop to foil Jenk­ins af­ter he was put through on goal.

That save marked some­thing of a sec­ond half turn­ing point as Port re­sumed charge for the last half-hour.

They fi­nally broke the dead­lock on 72 min­utes when Gibbs cut dan­ger­ously across the box be­fore rolling the ball into the path of Iwan Lewis, who cracked in a beauty from 18 yards.

Soon af­ter the vis­i­tors were at it again when Gibbs re­leased Ca­vanagh, who calmly made it 2-0. NE­FYN United ad­vanced to the Cw­pan Gwynedd semi-fi­nals with a well-de­served 3-1 vic­tory at Glantraeth last week­end.

This was the Pen­waig’s first win at the An­gle­sey ground in around a decade.

On a blus­tery day, the home side played with the wind in the first half, but this did not up­set the vis­i­tors who cre­ated chance af­ter chance but could not fin­ish. Fi­nally, on 43 min­utes, Ne­fyn’s Llion Jones beat two de­fend­ers down the right and crossed and Guto Roberts struck the ball by the near post giv­ing keeper Rhys Roberts no chance.

In the sec­ond half, Glantraeth came out as if they had found an­other gear but that only lasted around 10 min­utes as Ne­fyn got into their stride and were much the bet­ter team.

On 64 min­utes, the Cae’r De­lyn side gained a corner taken by cap­tain Steve Jones who floated it into the box. It was half-cleared and Zac Al­lan­son man­aged to get con­tact on the ball to make it 2-0. The vis­i­tors kept up the pres­sure and, on 70 min­utes, came the fi­nal nail in the cof­fin as once more Llion Jones beat two de­fend­ers and fired home a de­flected shot.

Right on the 90 min­utes, Guto Roberts spoiled hopes of a clean sheet dis­play when he gave away a soft penalty which Tim Evans con­verted.

Talysarn Celts’ tie at home to Bro Goronwy was post­poned, while Me­nai Bridge Tigers de­feated Llan­goed 4-2.

Gwynedd League ac­tion saw Waun­fawr held 4-4 by Mynydd Tigers. Adam Jones, Rho­dri Owen, Dafydd Evans and Kevin Bar­low net­ted for the Be­gan­ifs; Llanystumdwy went down 5-2 at home to Gwalch­mai, Mor­gan Grif­fiths and Dar­ren Parry for the hosts.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.