CRUNCHY BUTTERMILK WINGS
The best fried chicken always involves buttermilk – it not only gives a certain tang to the chicken, it also tenderises it. Win Wing! (GET IT?!) TIP – IT’S BEST TO MARINATE THESE THE day before you need them.
• 3 eggs
• 500ml (2 cups) buttermilk
• 1.8kg (4lbs) chicken wings, tips removed • 400g (3 cups) plain flour
• 60g (1 cup) cornflakes, crushed
• Dried thyme
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 cloves garlic, grated
• 2 litres vegetable oil for frying 1. Beat the eggs and buttermilk together in a large bowl until smooth. 2. Mix in the chicken wings, cover and refrigerate for a day (or at least
3. When you’re ready to start the cooking process, preheat the oven to 220C (425F) and line 2 or 3 baking sheets/ trays with either foil or parchment paper.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour and cornflakes with the pepper,
thyme, cayenne, salt and garlic.
5. Remove the chicken wings from the buttermilk marinade and allow
the excess batter to drip from the wings.
6. Press the wings into the crumbs and arrange on the baking sheets/
7. Bake for around 25-35 minutes, until golden brown and the juices
8. Preheat a pot of oil to 190C (375 F).
9. Fry the wings for a few minutes, in batches, to crisp them up.
10. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt. 11. Serve up with your favourite dipping sauce.
These recipes are taken from the Good Vibes Cookbook available worldwide and carve.shop