‘So glad it’s over’ Bit on­the side!

C arl, 47, says, ‘I just did what any man would to pro­tect his fam­ily, yet was made to feel like a crim­i­nal and faced prison. ‘I feel sorry for Hendry, liv­ing the life he is, but I don’t con­done what he did. The sys­tem is flawed, and it’s been 11 months

Chat - - True-Life! -

fam­ily’s lives were in tat­ters.

Then things went from bad to worse.

When Carl ap­peared at Don­caster Mag­is­trates Court, the charge against him was in­creased from ABH to wound­ing!

Wound­ing car­ries a jail sen­tence of three years to life. ‘I can’t be­lieve it!’ I gasped. I’d never sobbed so much. A trial date was set and, over the next months, the stress took its toll.

Carl couldn’t con­cen­trate, made mis­takes in his job as a rail­way-safety man­ager. His boss had no choice but to let him go.

And my wage barely cov­ered the mort­gage.

We ploughed through our sav­ings but knew that, if Carl was jailed, we’d lose ev­ery­thing.

‘I’ll have made my fam­ily home­less!’ Carl wept.

My strong hus­band was crum­bling be­fore my eyes.

Fi­nally, last Novem­ber, Carl ap­peared at Sh­effield Crown Court.

He pleaded not guilty to wound­ing.

The pros­e­cu­tion claimed that Carl acted in anger. That he blamed Hendry for the bur­glary four years ear­lier and vi­o­lently at­tacked him with the lump ham­mer in re­venge.

But Carl’s lawyer ex­plained that Hendry had told Carl to, ‘f*ck off be­fore I stab you’.

He said that Carl was act­ing in self de­fence.

Hendry had suf­fered a mi­nor cut above his eye and a few scratches, clearly not caused by blows from a ham­mer.

As the jury re­tired, I gripped Carl’s hand.

And, within just 30 min­utes, they’d reached their de­ci­sion. ‘Not guilty,’ the fore­man said. I crum­pled with re­lief, cry­ing. Out­side, I wrapped my arms around Carl, hugged him.

Now, we’re try­ing to re­build our lives.

But I’ll never for­give Hendry for what he put our whole fam­ily through.

And I blame the jus­tice sys­tem, too.

Vic­tims should be pro­tected – not pun­ished.

Carl only did what any hus­band and father would’ve done for his fam­ily.

Yet he could’ve ended up in prison.

How can that be right?

As the jury re­tired, I gripped Carl’s hand...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.