Bride and doom!

When dis­as­ter nearly struck, we made sure it didn’t ruin our big days!

Chat - - Contents -

An X-ray revealed that I’d frac­tured my an­kle

Hob­bling to the al­tar By Rachael Forbes, 35, from Cum­bria

The sun was shin­ing – and, with two weeks to go un­til my wed­ding in July 2013, I fan­cied catch­ing a bit of sun. So I headed off for a walk. Bump­ing into my neigh­bour and his dog, I stepped back to let them pass.

But I lost my foot­ing in a pot­hole and went over on my right an­kle.

‘Ouch!’ I cried out in pain.

I knew some­thing was wrong, and had to ask my neigh­bour for a lift back home.

I put my feet up and stuck a bag of frozen peas on my an­kle. But it was swollen, throb­bing and bruised.

My fi­ance Adrian was away for work so I hob­bled round to my neigh­bour’s.

‘Could you take me to hospi­tal?’ I asked sheep­ishly.

At A&E, an X-ray revealed that I’d frac­tured my an­kle.

‘But I’m about to get mar­ried!’ I gasped. I felt so sorry for my­self as my in-laws-to-be, Mau­reen and Tony, picked me up and took me home. The next day, I went back, had an un­sightly boot fit­ted and was told to rest my foot. Fam­ily and friends ral­lied round, help­ing with last-minute wed­ding preps. Luck­ily, the ugly boot didn’t show un­der my dress. Walk­ing down the aisle was funny. My dad has dif­fi­culty walk­ing, so we helped each other – him with his stick, me with my boot. We must’ve looked a right pair! ‘Show us your boot!’ my friends yelled later, as I posed for pho­tos. Adrian and I danced, drank and min­gled with guests as though noth­ing had hap­pened. It was a per­fect day! Just a shame the ‘some­thing blue’ was my bruised leg!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.