Aunty Nelly’s Christ­mas mes­sage

Our queen of ad­vice has some top tips for a stress-free fes­tive sea­son

Chat - - True-life DIY Decs -

Hi flow­er­pots,

Christ­mas is com­ing! Is it just me who feels like hid­ing un­der the stairs with a pink gin?!

Every TV chef has ad­vice on do­ing some­thing ex­cit­ing with veg – and I can think of far more in­ter­est­ing places for them to shove their spuds than in the oven!

Re­mem­ber, Christ­mas din­ner’s just one meal. Does it mat­ter if the mince pies are shop-bought? Does it heck! No­body no­tices, ex­cept that snooty neigh­bour – and who likes her any­way?

The av­er­age fam­ily’s ex­pected to spend over £800 this Christ­mas. Crikey!

Peo­ple put them­selves un­der such strain. Let’s be kind but don’t over­spend on gifts. Sit down with the kids and ex­plain that presents cost money!

It’s what I did as a sin­gle mum with my daugh­ter. She turned 23 this year, grew up know­ing I had a bud­get. It made her ap­pre­ci­ate gifts so much more.

What mat­ters at Christ­mas is get­ting fam­i­lies and friends to­gether. Rem­i­nisce about when Aunty Brenda got so drunk on sherry she threw up in Un­cle Tony’s lap. Or when your brother got the re­mote-con­trol car of his dreams, but it came with­out bat­ter­ies so he sat sulk­ing all Christ­mas!

Re­mem­ber loved ones no longer here. I al­ways pour my dad a Scotch, and light a can­dle be­side his pic­ture. Sounds daft, but it’s as if he’s still with us.

We should also raise a glass to those away from home, do­ing their duty at Christ­mas, such as the Emer­gency Ser­vices or those in our Armed Forces. Thank you, you lovely lot!

I wish you all a truly mag­i­cal Christ­mas – or what­ever you cel­e­brate in your life! Lets hope for peace in this world and a happy and pros­per­ous 2019 for us all! Auntylove Nelly x

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.