Get away! Cape Town

Near the south­ern­most tip of Africa, Cape Town en­joys one of the most spec­tac­u­lar lo­ca­tions of any sea­side city

Chat - - Contents -

Shop by the har­bour 1

Fo­cal point for vis­i­tors and lo­cals alike is the V&A Wa­ter­front, named af­ter Queen Vic­to­ria and her son Prince Al­fred, who launched the con­struc­tion of the new har­bour in the then-bri­tish colony back in 1860. To­day, it’s a vi­brant col­lec­tion of restau­rants, bou­tiques and shop­ping malls.

Rise above 2

The high­light of any visit is a trip up Ta­ble Moun­tain, which of­fers stun­ning views not just over the city, but along the coast of the Cape Penin­sula too. But don’t de­lay. If the weather is clear and calm, head straight there. You can hike up the steep slope, but most peo­ple opt for the five-minute as­cent by fu­nic­u­lar and if the wind gets up, the ser­vice stops. Feel­ing ad­ven­tur­ous? Try ab­seil­ing down the side!

Take the tour 3

Cape Town’s tourist ar­eas are per­fectly safe to walk around. Just be street aware as you would in any large city. Make the most of the hop-on, hop-off ser­vice of­fered by City Sight­see­ing tour buses. There are var­i­ous ticket op­tions but take the red route for the Ta­ble Moun­tain fu­nic­u­lar and the blue to go be­hind the moun­tain via the Na­tional Botan­i­cal Gar­den at Kirsten­bosch and the Groot Con­stan­tia Wine Es­tate. Both re­turn along the coast road through the hol­i­day re­sort of Camps Bay.

Get out of town 4

Self-drive or take a guided tour of Cape Penin­sula with its rugged moun­tain chain that stretches from Ta­ble Moun­tain to Cape Point and Africa’s most south-west­erly head­land, the Cape of Good Hope. The sur­round­ing area is a Na­tional Park with res­i­dent ze­bra, ba­boon and an­te­lope.

Head to wine coun­try 5

With their Cape Dutch manor houses, rich green land­scape and moun­tain back­drop, the Cape Winelands are an idyl­lic spot for a day trip or overnight stay. Many of the beau­ti­ful wine es­tates of­fer tast­ings, restau­rants and ac­com­mo­da­tion. If you’re on a self-drive hol­i­day, think about hir­ing a taxi for a tast­ing day or tak­ing the wine tram so the driver doesn’t miss out.

Go on a mini sa­fari 6

It’s a three-day drive from Cape Town to South Africa’s largest and best-known game re­serve, the Kruger, but you can still get an au­then­tic taste of the wild on a day trip or overnight stay at Aquila Pri­vate Game Re­serve (aquilasa­fari.com), which is just two hours east of Cape Town and has op­tional pick-up from city ho­tels.

See the amaz­ing lo­cal wildlife 6things todoin...

Spend a re­lax­ing day at a wine es­tate

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.