Puz­zle £500

Chat - - HEALTH -

The an­swers to all these gen­eral knowl­edge ques­tions – ex­cept one – are in the grid in var­i­ous di­rec­tions. to be this week’s big quiz cham­pion, work out which an­swer is miss­ing. this is your prize an­swer. An­swers are in al­pha­bet­i­cal or­der in each sec­tion.

THE SIL­VER SCREEN – SHOW-ERS

1 Which Aus­tralian ac­tor and singer played PT Bar­num in the 2017 mu­si­cal movie The Great­est Show­man? (4, 7) 2 Which ac­tor played the ti­tle char­ac­ter in the 1998 satir­i­cal sci­ence fic­tion movie The Tru­man Show – and whose other movies in­clude The Mask, Bruce Almighty and Dumb and Dumber? (3, 6) 3 Which 1960 hor­ror movie by Al­fred Hitch­cock in­cludes a fa­mous show­er­scene mur­der at the

Bates Mo­tel? (6)

WHERE IN THE WORLD? POOLS

4 Which ‘pool’ is the name of the Lan­cashire sea­side re­sort with a tower and a zoo that’s the set­ting for the fa­mous com­edy mono­logue

The Lion and Al­bert? (9)

5 The town, har­bour and re­sort of Poole, on the south coast of Bri­tain, is in which English county? (6) 6 Liver­pool sits on the north-eastern shores of the es­tu­ary of which English river? (6)

RAIN

7 Which fa­mous US dancer, singer and ac­tor sang the ti­tle song in the 1952 mu­si­cal Sin­gin’ in the Rain? (4, 5) 8 What, ac­cord­ing to the song writ­ten by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the movie Butch Cas­sidy and the Sun­dance Kid, are ... Fallin’ on My Head? (9) 9 In which 1939 mu­si­cal movie does Judy Gar­land sing the fa­mous song Over the Rain­bow? (3, 6, 2, 2)

WA­TER

10 In the chem­i­cal sym­bol for wa­ter H2O, for what does the H stand? (8) 11 Con­is­ton Wa­ter, Der­went Wa­ter and Ull­swa­ter are three bod­ies of wa­ter in which English Na­tional Park? (4, 8) 12 Which ‘wa­ter’ is the name of the po­lit­i­cal scan­dal that brought down US Pres­i­dent Richard Nixon, and whose last four let­ters are now at­tached to al­most any scan­dal’s name? (9)

CATS AND DOGS

13 Which county is miss­ing from the phrase ‘To grin like a ... cat’, used by Lewis Car­roll in Alice in Won­der­land? (8) 14 What’s the name of the Great Dane dog who solves mys­ter­ies along with Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy? (6-3) 15 What’s miss­ing from the phrase mean­ing to leave well alone,

‘Let ... dogs lie’? (8)

2. Who’s dumb – or dumber?

4. Where did the lion meet Al­bert?

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.