You lit­tle beauty

Our beauty team an­swers all your ques­tions

Chat - - CONTENTS -

Q I was lucky enough to visit a spa re­cently, and was amazed how much the beau­ti­ful scents re­laxed me – I felt on cloud nine af­ter­wards!

How can I recre­ate a bit of that feel­ing at home with­out break­ing the bank?

Caro­line Brown, 48

A Bring­ing that won­der­fully re­lax­ing spa feel to your own home is eas­ier and cheaper than you think. First of all, in­vest in a few es­sen­tial oils. They are not too ex­pen­sive, eas­ily avail­able and last for ages.

Laven­der oil is a must. It is proven to calm and re­lax the mind, and if I ever have trou­ble sleep­ing, I add

Pro:Voke Touch of Sil­ver Bright­en­ing Sham­poo, £2.12, Su­per­drug

Q I love my high­lights, but last year I went on hol­i­day and they turned into yel­low stripes in the sun! Is there any­thing I can do to stop this hap­pen­ing again?

Laura Cowgill, 55

A There are lots of mea­sures you can take to ward off brassy tones this sum­mer. We are now very mind­ful about ap­ply­ing SPF to our skin, but we tend to for­get about our hair, which needs as much pro­tec­tion. Find a good SPF hair mist and be dis­ci­plined about ap­ply­ing it. A big floppy hat is a great shield too, and will pro­tect your face from the sun to boot. Fi­nally, make sure to use a vi­o­let sham­poo twice a week. Pur­ple notes can­cel out yel­low ones, so this will keep your colour in check. a few drops to my pil­low.

Next, I’d rec­om­mend man­darin oil. Cit­rus scents are in­stant mood-boost­ers, so if you want to be en­er­gised, this is the one you should reach for.

Fi­nally, go for eu­ca­lyp­tus oil. That strong, men­thol-like scent will trans­port you right back to the spa steam room.

If you are hav­ing a bath, a few drops while it’s run­ning will cre­ate a spa-like at­mos­phere in a jiffy. If it’s a shower, sim­ply add a few drops to a damp flan­nel and place on a dry-ish area of your shower area. The steam will cre­ate a vapour.

Q I love eye make-up but wear­ing con­tact lenses means that my eyes get ir­ri­tated very eas­ily and I of­ten have to forgo mas­cara if they’re be­ing tem­per­a­men­tal. Help! Ann Whiting, 66 A Get­ting make-up in your eyes isn’t of­ten a huge prob­lem as your eyes flush it out in a jiffy, but con­tacts in­hibit that process. Stick to cream eye­shad­ows, as they are less likely to get in your eye, and choose wa­ter-based creams, as oil-based ones can ir­ri­tate eyes more. When it comes to mas­caras and eye­lin­ers, look out for hy­poal­ler­genic make-up. Clinique mas­caras are of­ten rec­om­mended by der­ma­tol­o­gists and oph­thal­mol­o­gists, be­cause every sin­gle for­mula goes through 7,200 tests, and if there is even one re­ac­tion, the whole prod­uct is Odylique re­for­mu­lated. Odylique’s Eye­liner in Or­ganic Black is made up of 100% nat­u­ral and Eye­Liner, 64% or­ganic ma­te­ri­als. £12.50,

odylique.co.uk

Revlon Colorstay Creme Sin­gle Eye­shadow in Caramel, £6.99, Su­per­drug

Tis­serand Laven­der Pure Es­sen­tial Oil, £6.50, feelu­nique.com

Clinique Nat­u­rally Glossy Mas­cara in Black, £19.50, clinique.co.uk

Neal’s Yard Reme­dies Man­darin Es­sen­tial Oil, £8, Neal’s Yard Reme­dies

Mal­ibu Hair and Scalp Pro­tec­tor SPF 30, £3.99, Su­per­drug

Be Care Love Nat­u­rals Eu­ca­lyp­tus 100% Pure Es­sen­tial Oil, £5.99, Su­per­drug

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.