He melted my heart

Chat - - MEANT TO BE -

He was ex­actly the same, just a few grey hairs

By April 2017, six months af­ter I’d mes­saged David, I’d given up all hope that

I’d hear back.

But then, as I was sit­ting in bed one night, on my iPad, a Face­book mes­sage pinged through on my phone. It was him! Yes, he wrote. I am the same David McMichael. How are you?

My heart raced as I typed out my re­ply.

Over the next few hours, we sent mes­sages back and forth.

We had so much to catch up on.

David told me he’d been mar­ried 30 years and had one son, but his mar­riage had re­cently ended.

We spoke about the old times. When we were two lovesick young­sters.

David didn’t play hockey any more, now worked in lo­gis­tics.

Glued to my phone, I could tell the spark was still there.

The next morn­ing, I woke up to a mes­sage from David and felt but­ter­flies in my stom­ach. I felt like a teenager again! Then, just days later, we spoke on the phone for the first time.

Hear­ing David’s voice af­ter all these years felt sur­real. But it also felt right.

‘I’m com­ing to visit,’ David an­nounced just two weeks af­ter we got back in touch.

In May 2017, David flew from Toronto.

Wait­ing for him in the Ar­rivals hall at Manch­ester Air­port, I was bub­bling with ner­vous ex­cite­ment.

Suit­case in his hand, David walked to­wards me, and I

felt my­self fall­ing in love all over again.

‘I can’t be­lieve it,’ I said, pulling him into a hug.

We stood there for 15 min­utes, hold­ing on to each other. Af­ter so long apart, we were de­ter­mined not to let go again.

We sat on a bench at the air­port and stared at each other in dis­be­lief.

Three decades had passed, but David was ex­actly the same.

Just a few grey hairs and some wrin­kles round the eyes.

‘You haven’t changed at all,’ he grinned.

For two weeks, we trav­elled around Eng­land.

When it was time for David to fly home, we couldn’t bear to say good­bye again.

So we planned for him to come back just two weeks later. For good. By Au­gust

2017, we were liv­ing to­gether at my home in Black­pool.

On Christ­mas Day 2017, David and I were at home with my mum and his mum Donna, 78, who was vis­it­ing. As we opened our presents in the liv­ing room, David sud­denly got down on one knee.

‘Will you marry me?’ he asked, show­ing me a beau­ti­ful gold and di­a­mond ring. ‘Yes!’ I cried.

In March this year, David and I got mar­ried in an in­ti­mate cer­e­mony with just my mum there.

I wore a white lace dress with a sweet­heart neck­line, and David looked dash­ing in a tuxedo. Walk­ing up the aisle as hus­band and wife,

I had to pinch my­self.

We had spent over 30 years apart. But all that mat­ters is that we found each other again.

Worth the three-decade wait!

Meet­ing up with David, I felt like a loved-up teenager again

I got the best Christ­mas present ever!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.