Over the hump

Chat - - TRUE-LIFE | RIDING HIGH -

Al­though I knew I needed to get in shape, I was des­per­ate to start plan­ning our big day, too. So John and I booked it for April 2019 – two years away.

That gave me plenty of time to hit my goal, and it was just the push I needed.

For the first time in 18 months, I re­joined the gym.

Af­ter three years of preg­nan­cies and yo-yo di­et­ing, I was de­ter­mined to look like a princess on my wed­ding day.

Af­ter a month of healthy eat­ing and work­ing out, a friend at the gym in­vited me to see her com­pete in a body­build­ing show.

I watched in awe as she stood on the stage, flex­ing her im­pres­sive mus­cles.

She looks amaz­ing! I thought, ad­mir­ing her taut tummy and strong thighs.

But, look­ing down at my own flabby body, I knew I’d never look as good as that.

‘Why don’t you train with me?’ she of­fered, af­ter.

So I started spend­ing as many nights as I could at the gym, while John stayed home, watch­ing the kids.

I lifted heav­ier weights, ate plenty of fish and veg.

And 10 months on, I’d got down to size 12, and 11st. I felt fit and had bags of en­ergy.

Trou­ble was, my clothes weren’t the only thing that was hang­ing off me.

Los­ing and gain­ing all that weight sev­eral times, plus two preg­nan­cies, had taken its toll.

Saggy skin hung down from my tummy, while my boobs also drooped.

Un­der­neath all the loose skin, I was strong, could feel my toned mus­cles.

‘I just wish I could show them off,’ I told John.

So I de­cided to cel­e­brate my weight loss and splash out on a boob job and tummy tuck.

The two ops cost me £6,500 from my sav­ings, and in Fe­bru­ary 2018 I went un­der the knife at a clinic in Poland.

The surgery was painful and took months to heal, but look­ing at the re­sults af­ter, my con­fi­dence soared.

By the time our wed­ding came around this April, all that hard work had paid off. I’d lost a stag­ger­ing 9st. Wear­ing a fig­ure-hug­ging size-8 strap­less gown, I glided down the aisle feel­ing ev­ery inch the princess.

‘You look beau­ti­ful,’ John whis­pered.

It was ev­ery­thing I’d ever dreamt of.

Then, this July, I en­tered the Body Trans­for­ma­tion cat­e­gory in a bikini, fit­ness and mus­cle model com­pe­ti­tion.

With all my fam­ily cheer­ing me on,

I’d never felt prouder.

Abs rip­pling, bi­ceps bulging...

And fist pump­ing the air when the judges an­nounced me as the win­ner!

When I think back to that camel ride in Tu­nisia, I feel sorry for that em­bar­rassed woman. The old me.

It’s been a bumpy ride, but I’m fi­nally the per­son I al­ways wanted to be.

With all my fam­ily cheer­ing, I’d never felt prouder

Size 8 and mar­ry­ing John I worked hard to get here What a trans­for­ma­tion!

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.