Rock of ages
Part of St Peter’s Church dates back to the 13th century, with additions in the 14th and 15th centuries and a restoration in the late 19th century by esteemed architect Sir George Gilbert Scott and his son John Oldrid Scott. Unsurprisingly, the sandstone church is a grade one listed building. TEA BREAK These white cottages, typically of some of the village’s older dwellings, were pictured in 1915. The sign on the gable of the nearest house tells us that it was a tea shop, run by a Mrs Lane.