GRILLED MACKEREL FILLET, KOHLRABI, APPLE AND CORIANDER SLAW, SOUR CREAM
4 mackerel filets
50g table salt
50g caster sugar
75ml lime juice
20ml virgin sesame oil 10g dark soy sauce 50g maple syrup
1 stick lemongrass (peeled back and very finely chopped)
1 large kohlrabi
2 Granny smith apples
Small bunch of coriander
• You should start by preparing the mackerel for grilling. Mix the salt and sugar together.
• Lay the mackerel onto a nonporous tray then evenly sprinkle all of the salt/sugar mixture over the fish, being sure to coat both the skin and flesh side of the fillet. Leave for 20 minutes.
• Now for the slaw. Whisk the lime juice, sesame oil, dark soy and maple syrup together. Add the lemongrass and leave this in the liquid to infuse until needed. Peel the kohlrabi and apple, then coarsely grate into a bowl. Dress this with a very small amount (1/2 tsp) of lime juice, mix well, cover and refrigerate. • Finely chop the coriander and set aside for when you come to complete the salad.
• Once 20 minutes have passed, set your grill to its highest temperature. Rinse the mackerel fillet under the cold tap, gently removing all traces of the salt and sugar.
• Pat dry with kitchen towel and place onto an oiled, heavy baking tray ready to be grilled. Place the fish skin side facing up. • Bring the salad together by mixing your chopped coriander with the apple and kohlrabi.
Pass the dressing through a fine sieve and into the salad.
• Place the mackerel under the grill. This should take anywhere between 1-2 minutes to cook. The skin should blister slightly with the heat from the hot grill, if the flesh underneath is a little pink do not fear, it will be all the more delicious. Serve the mackerel alongside the kohlrabi and apple salad and a liberal dollop of sour cream.