A pond doesn’t have to be big to be home for frogs, newts, damsel and dragonflies. Here’s how to create one.
1. Choose a spot - it needs to have light but not be in full sunlight. Either dig a hole or sink a container into the ground.
2. If the container isn’t watertight, add a piece of pond liner.
3. Add gravel, rocks, logs and stones to create a variety of depth and a slope for the creatures to climb in and out.
4. Fill your pond with rainwater - avoid tap water as this contains chemicals.
5. Put one or two plants in - miniature waterlilies and flowering rush work well.
6. Watch and wait for wildlife to come to the pond. Don’t introduce them yourself as this can spread disease.
BELOW: Even a small space can be used for a pond.