Roasted Vegetable and Herby Wild Rice Salad
This is a comforting warm salad. I like to sprinkle with shredded Parmesan before serving, but you can replace with a vegetarian hard cheese, if you prefer. If you’re not a
vegetarian, this salad also tastes great with some crispy pancetta.
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
• 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped into bite-size chunks
• 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped into bitesize chunks
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into bitesize chunks
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• ½ tsp garlic salt
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp freshly ground
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 red onion, chopped into
• 1 large beetroot, peeled
and chopped into wedges
• 320g cooked basmati and
wild rice blend
• 40g pea shoots
• 60g mixed fresh herbs, such as coriander, parsley and chives
• 2 tbsp shredded
• 2 lemons, sliced into
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. On a large baking sheet, combine the chunks of sweet potato, red and yellow peppers and carrots.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, garlic salt, salt, pepper, paprika and oregano and drizzle over the vegetables. Toss it all together, using your hands, then roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turning everything over after 10 minutes.
4. Add the red onion wedges
and beetroot and toss everything together again to coat with oil. Return to the oven for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred at the edges. 5. Remove and transfer the roasted vegetables, plus any oil left on the pan, to a large serving bowl. Add the cooked wild rice, pea shoots and mixed herbs to the bowl. 6. Toss everything together and serve topped with the grated Parmesan and lemon wedges.