Road to ex­emp­tion

Classic Bike (UK) - - RICK'S FIXES -

Richard Parker got in touch re­gard­ing my re­joic­ing at the end of MOT tests for 40-plus-year-old ve­hi­cles. He says that he was un­able to tax his 41-year-old Garelli Tiger Cross at his lo­cal Post Of­fice – they in­sisted it still needed an MOT. Then Steve Baron re­ported that hav­ing got the V112 Ex­empt Ve­hi­cles form, none of the cat­e­gories were ap­pli­ca­ble.

I also had no luck try­ing to tax my ’72-reg­is­tered Tribsa on­line; I sus­pect be­cause it’s been off the road so long it’s still reg­is­tered as a ‘Bi­cy­cle’, like a mod­ern bike, rather than a ‘His­toric Ve­hi­cle’. It looks like it’s this tax­a­tion class that de­fines a 40-year-old ve­hi­cle’s el­i­gi­bil­ity for Mot-free sta­tus.

To change tax class you just write ‘His­toric Ve­hi­cle’ in the panel (Box 7, Changes to cur­rent ve­hi­cle’) in the V5; but there’s a note be­neath say­ing: ‘The tax class shown can only be changed when tax­ing. Please ap­ply at your near­est DVLA of­fice.’ Of course, they all got closed a while back. There’s a catch 22 here; you need an MOT and fee to tax a ‘Bi­cy­cle’ in order to ap­ply to have it made into an Mot/fee free His­toric...

The form V112 seems to be the key, but has only re­cently been up­dated to in­clude a cat­e­gory ‘R’ for 40-year-old ve­hi­cles. Post Of­fices don’t seem to have been is­sued with them yet, so you may need to down­load one from the in­ter­net. Fill it in, sign it and hope­fully all will be well. I’ll tell you how I get on...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.