Classic Racer - - PEOPLE -

The 1982 sea­son started badly with the news that Den­nis Trol­lope was fac­ing a mas­sive cut­back to his rac­ing bud­get. He would prob­a­bly only be able to run Jock in the UK. In the end the money came in and Den­nis car­ried on tun­ing the mo­tors with Fowlers of Bris­tol the main spon­sor. First race was the Aus­trian GP, where Bi­land was the win­ner and Jock fourth. The 1982 TT was one of mixed for­tunes, start­ing as favourites; they hit ma­jor prob­lems on the open­ing lap of race one, even­tu­ally fin­ish­ing down in 18th place. Jock and Benga made up for their dis­ap­point­ment in the sec­ond race by tak­ing the che­quered flag ahead of hus­band and wife team Den­nis and Ju­lia Bing­ham, set­ting a new lap record at 108.29mph in the process. Bi­land won at the Dutch TT with Jock and Benga sixth over the line. At Spa, us­ing the new Win­dle out­fit, they were third home, with Bi­land again the win­ner. They had to re­tire with en­gine prob­lems at Sil­ver­stone, where Dutch­man Eg­bert Streuer was the win­ner. The team fin­ished sec­ond to Bi­land at An­der­storp. Af­ter five rounds, with four to go, they were now joint third on 33 points. Bi­land led on 60, with Sch­warzel sec­ond on 52. Jock Tay­lor lost his life in the Finnish GP on Au­gust 15. He was dic­ing for third place in the very wet con­di­tions with Bi­land and Waltisperg on the fourth lap. In deep ly­ing wa­ter the out­fit spun and smashed into a track­side tele­graph pole.


Benga was thrown clear and un­in­jured, but while the mar­shals and first aid work­ers tried to give as­sis­tance to Jock and re­lease him from the man­gled out­fit, three laps later Finn, Pentti Ni­ini­vaara and fel­low coun­try­man, Vesa Bienek, also span and ploughed into the wreck­age. Jock was rushed to hos­pi­tal at nearby Lappeen­ranta with head in­juries, sus­pected bro­ken legs and in­ter­nal in­juries. He died at 7.30pm that evening. Jock, who was the side­car class rep­re­sen­ta­tive at the time, had re­jected ap­peals by both Rolf Bi­land and Werner Sch­warzel, ask­ing for the race to be called off. Jock and Alain Michel were both happy to race, de­spite the tor­ren­tial rain which turned the track into a river. Af­ter the race Benga was deeply shocked and up­set and un­sure of what he should do in the fu­ture. He had of­fers from both Bi­land and Michel to be­come their pas­sen­ger. He con­sid­ered both re­quests, but re­alised he had had a very lucky es­cape and it was time to quit. He trav­elled to Don­ing­ton Park, where the team had been based and started work­ing for the cir­cuit.

Tay­lor and Jo­hans­son, proudly car­ry­ing the World Cham­pi­onship num­ber 1 on the Fowleryamaha.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.