Classic Sports Car
LANDAULET LANDS IN WALES
In 1925, a new Rolls-royce 20hp chassis was ordered by Mrs F Eleanor Dixon, a wealthy American living in a large Tudor-style mansion and married to banker and US Davis Cup team captain Fitz Eugene Dixon Snr. She sent it to Brewster & Co of New York for a handsome landaulet body to be fitted. When Rolls-royce of America was set up in 1919, Brewster was one of its favoured coachbuilders. This was the only Brewster landaulet on a 20hp chassis, and one of the last bodies by Brewster before it was incorporated into Rolls-royce of America.
Rolls-royce records show that she still owned the car in 1938, but nothing more is known of it until 1964, when it was with a Joseph A Benoit. He sold it in 1969, then again the trail goes cold until 1976, when it belonged to William Higgins Jnr. He is known to have run the car for a few years before selling it to a dealer in South Carolina, who dismantled various parts and removed the body, causing quite a lot of damage.
In around 1980, the project was sold to Rolls-royce Enthusiasts’ Club and Rolls-royce Owners’ Club of America members Douglas and
Mary White, who intended to restore it properly but got sidetracked by Silver Ghosts. The 20hp was stored in their heated garage for some 40 years, then in 2018 it was sold to The Real Car Company of Bethesda. John Milan has since bought it and sent the car to Ben Smith Engineering of Okehampton for restoration.