BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE
Boatbuilding students from Falmouth Marine School have saved a little bit of Cornish history, with the restoration of a vintage Cornish post boat.
The St Michael’s Mount Post Boat, managed by the National Trust and St Aubyn Estates was built in 1954 and was historically used to ferry the Island’s mail from the Mainland to the Mount.
Named after the fourth Lady St Levan and part of the St Michael’s Mount historic boat collection, she is a heavily constructed clinker vessel, built with 3/8th pine or larch planking over oak steam frames and designed for an arduous life of service.
Susan has now been returned to a fully serviceable condition and reunited with the St Michaels Mount State Barges, the 1st State Barge
believed to originate around the 1770s and built in the 1840s.
... and after