Don’t for­get….

Country Smallholding - - Liz Shankland Pigs -

If you plan sell­ing your meat – whether you are buy­ing in feed or mix­ing your own - you must be registered with your lo­cal author­ity as a food busi­ness. In ad­di­tion, if you want to blend your own ce­re­als and pre-mixed vi­ta­mins and min­er­als, you have to ap­ply for a mix­ing li­cence, be­cause mix­ing feed is con­sid­ered to be a higher risk ac­tiv­ity. As nu­mer­ous dis­eases can be passed through the food chain, reg­u­lar in­spec­tions may also be re­quired for pro­duc­ers who use home-made feed. The reg­u­la­tions may seem tire­some, but they are there for a rea­son - to en­sure that an­i­mal feed is pro­duced, stored, and used safely, and has full trace­abil­ity, in the event of a dis­ease out­break or food safety in­ci­dent.

Re­mem­ber that reg­is­tra­tion also ap­plies to any­one feed­ing per­mit­ted cater­ing waste or co-prod­ucts (such as whey, brew­ers’ grains, bak­ery prod­ucts - see the April is­sue of Coun­try Small­hold­ing) to an­i­mals des­tined for pub­lic con­sump­tion.

You must fol­low ba­sic hy­giene pro­ce­dures in re­la­tion to feed han­dling and en­sure that haz­ards are prop­erly con­trolled. These in­clude pre­vent­ing feed be­ing spoiled or con­tam­i­nated; clean­ing equip­ment used for mix­ing, stor­ing, or trans­port­ing feed; and main­tain­ing records of feed or for­mer food prod­ucts used.

Fi­nally, if you are con­sid­er­ing mix­ing your own feed, or stor­ing co-prod­ucts, bear in mind that you have to have good stor­age fa­cil­i­ties which pro­tect all in­gre­di­ents from pests, such as ro­dents.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.