Cynon Valley - - SPORT -

ENG­LAND Lions put in an out­stand­ing sec­ond half per­for­mance to over­come Wales at un­der 19 level for the sec­ond time this year, run­ning out 44-6 win­ners.

It was a re­match from this sum­mer’s Euro­pean U19 Cham­pi­onships semi-fi­nal, with both sides field­ing sim­i­lar line-ups.

Eng­land nearly scored in the sec­ond minute, Callum Wood be­ing close to the line, but good Welsh de­fence forced him to drop the ball.

But they took the lead from their next move. Gary McMa­hon set­ting up Cur­tis Teare to score in the cor­ner. The wind swept McMa­hon’s con­ver­sion at­tempt wide.

Wales struck back on 17 min­utes. Finn Swift fin­ished off an ex­cel­lent pass­ing move and Fraser Stroud con­verted well to put his side 6-4 ahead.

That was the score at half-time as de­fences re­mained on top. James Bartlett was close to scor­ing Wales’ sec­ond try when on the half hour he was stopped less than a me­tre from the line, whilst Eng­land had a try dis­al­lowed just be­fore the in­ter­val, Callum Wood hav­ing his at­tempt chalked off for a for­ward pass.

But it took less than a minute after half-time for Eng­land to re­gain their lead. Jake Bradley went on a storm­ing run and twisted his way past the Welsh back­line to score. McMa­hon con­verted.

Eng­land got their third on 48 min­utes. Cameron Hether­ing­ton scor­ing a sim­i­lar try as he used his strength to score. McMa­hon con­verted again.

They went from de­fence to at­tack for their fourth. A length of the field move from Eng­land cul­mi­nated in Brad Hol­royd scor­ing in the cor­ner. McMa­hon missed the kick, leav­ing Eng­land 20-6 ahead.

From kick-off, Eng­land scored their fifth. Another good move saw Teare set up Wood to score un­der the sticks with McMa­hon ad­ding the ex­tras.

Wales were start­ing to tire and Eng­land added another try after win­ning two suc­ces­sive penal­ties, Sam Favell forced his way over and McMa­hon con­verted.

Eng­land added another from kick off as Ethan Jones touched down in the cor­ner for an un­con­verted try.

Teare sprinted in for Eng­land’s next, this one com­ing on 73 min­utes and ss Wales’ heads went down, Ben Shelby added their ninth try. Teare missed both con­ver­sion at­tempts.

PONTYCLUN are into sec­ond place in Nathaniel Car Sales Welsh League Di­vi­sion Three after a rou­tine 3-0 vic­tory over Tre­owen Stars. Tom Tweedy found the net twice in the vic­tory with James Gronow com­plet­ing the scor­ing.

The win was their fourth in seven games and ex­tends their un­beaten run to four league games.

Pontyclun are one of three sides level on 14 points at the top with un­beaten lead­ers Trethomas Blue­birds cur­rently with the edge on goal dif­fer­ence over Pontyclun and Trefe­lin.

Trefe­lin were also vic­to­ri­ous as they beat Tre­har­ris Ath­letic Western 2-1 with Jamie Var­den net­ting a con­so­la­tion.

Else­where, Ynysygerwn won 4-1 at Ely Rangers while New­port City beat Chep­stow 4-1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.