Water addict drank himself to death
A MAN addicted to water drank himself to death at a hosepipe.
“Aquaholic” Andrew Else, 51, would go to extreme lengths to satisfy his cravings, an inquest heard. Mr Else, who was in a care home, was seen swallowing directly from a hosepipe.
Staff were told to watch him but he was spotted standing soaking wet by the tap. He was later found dead in a pool of water. A post mortem revealed that Mr Else had died as a result of over-consumption of water.
His death occurred at the Voyage centre in Theale, near Reading, Berks, on May 25. Deputy manager Patima Silima told the inquest: “We gave him lots of tea and drinks but it was a big problem.” His brother Stephen said that Mr Else had been addicted to water for 30 years after suffering a stomach condition. He explained: “Drinking lots of water would cure it and take the pain away. The sensation of swallowing water became a source of amusement and comfort to him.”
Pearl Willis, deputy coroner for Berkshire, said: “Although maybe the hosepipe should have been turned off earlier, I feel it appropriate to record a verdict of accidental death.”
DEADLY: The hosepipe