Milan deal will be fab for Becks
BECKHAM DAVID BECKHAM last night joined AC Milan’s crusade to recapture the Italian league title – with the blessing of England coach Fabio Capello.
Beckham, 33, will join Milan on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy on January 7, but the Italian giants have yet to announce a date for his return. The England midfielder has always said he would be back in time for the Major League Soccer season kick-off in late March or early April.
Capello said: “Milan have made a great acquisition. He is a very focused lad, he is a professional.
“When I left him out of the team in Madrid because he had signed with the Los Angeles Galaxy, he continued to come to the pitch to train and I put him back in the team.”
Beckham’s loan talks were originally scheduled for next week but were brought forward for the player’s representatives and Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani to meet yesterday.
Beckham was previously a target for Milan in January 2007, but opted to move to LA from Real Madrid.
He is under contract with LA Galaxy until June 2012 and showed interest in joining Milan during the MLS close-season to keep up his fitness and help his England prospects.
He won his 107th cap against Belarus earlier this month and is just one short of Bobby Moore’s record.