Asbestos man sues Branson
SIR Richard Branson is being sued for £200,000 by an ex-shop fitter who claims he got asbestosrelated terminal cancer from Virgin stores.
Bernard Jones, 74, says he was exposed to deadly dust and fibres when he worked at Virgin Record shops in Oxford Street and Sloane Street, London, between 1971 and 1973.
He ripped out old asbestos insulation boards and sheets with hammers and crowbars, producing clouds of asbestos dust, according to a writ issued in London’s High Court.
He also says he swept up the dust and debris and installed Asbestolux boards containing asbestos in the stores, working alongside a carpenter who cut them.
And he sometimes slept on site at the Sloane Street store, he claims.
Bernard, whose incurable disease malignant mesothelioma was diagnosed last year, says his letters to Virgin have gone unanswered.