DID YOU KNOW? Tom Hollander
With Tom playing poor Douglas in the entertaining David Nicholls adaptation Us (9pm, BBC1), we take a look at some things you might not know about the popular actor…
● Thomas Anthony Hollander was born in Bristol on August 25, 1967, the second of two children, and was raised in Oxford. Both of his parents were teachers.
● He attended Dragon School and Abingdon School, where he was chief chorister, then read English at Cambridge. While he was at university, his friend and fellow student Sam Mendes directed him in several plays.
● He admits to being miserable at school, where he was bullied. ‘It was psychological torture rather than physical. It left me with a lifelong persecution complex, which I probably had already, but it didn’t help.’
● As a youngster, he was a member of the National Youth Theatre and the National Youth Music Theatre. In 1981, at the age of 14, he made his TV debut in a BBC dramatisation of Leon Garfield’s children’s adventure John Diamond.
● He has a string of glamorous exgirlfriends, including designer Daphne Guinness and socialites Jemima Goldsmith and Fran Hickman.
● Tom is 5ft 5in, and is often asked about his height. ‘I never thought of myself as being short. Being an actor has made me much more conscious of it than I would have been otherwise.’
6.40pm FILM Warcraft Fantasy adventure, with Travis Fimmel and and Paula Patton.
FILM The Inbetweeners 2
Comedy sequel, starring Simon Bird.
11.00 Gogglebox Capturing the households’
opinions on recent TV. 9.00
7.25pm Come Dine with Me
8.00 Grand Designs A scientist tries
to build a carbon-neutral home.
9.00 Emergency Rescue: Air, Land & Sea 10.00 24 Hours in A&E
6.25pm Sahara Adventure, starring Matthew
Mcconaughey and Penelope Cruz.
9.00 War for the Planet of the Apes
Sci-fi adventure sequel, starring Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson and Steve Zahn.
11.45 Filth Black comedy, starring
James Mcavoy and Imogen Poots.