Daily Mail

The duke’s orderlies start work for William

- By Royal Correspond­ent

TWO of Prince Philip’s order- lies are now working for Prince William following the 95-yearold’s decision to retire from public life.

In a key move, young soldiers Corporal Stewart harvey and Lance- Sergeant Stuart hayes were seconded to Kensington Palace last month after Philip’s diminishin­g workload left them with increasing­ly little to do.

It comes as royal insiders yesterday told the Mail that William, Kate and harry were being expected to take on a ‘significan­tly greater’ number of engagement­s on behalf of the Queen from this year.

Paid for by the Army, orderlies are seconded to the Royal Family to help out with royal duties. With Philip’s blessing, the pair now report to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince harry – although they still work for the Queen’s husband occasional­ly.

At Kensington Palace they do what a source described as ‘light butler duties’, including serving drinks, cleaning clothes, walking William and Kate’s dog Lupo and delivering hand-written notes.

The royal insider said of the pair: ‘It is a tradition for members of the Royal Family to have orderlies from the military, but Prince Philip is not as active as he once was, so the guys were finding themselves with some spare time.

‘It was a no-brainer for them to help out with William and Kate and harry, especially as they are now taking on so many more jobs.’

The fact that Corporal harvey and Lance-Sergeant hayes are working for harry as well as Prince William’s family will likely fuel rumours he is about to pop the question to his American girlfriend Meghan Markle – and will then need their help to entertain and carry out engagement­s.

Viewed alongside Thursday’s announceme­nt by Buckingham Palace, the secondment signals that the young royals will be taking on more and more responsi- bilities for their grandmothe­r. The move is part of what is being dubbed ‘Team Windsor’, a conscious effort by members of the royal family to support the Queen – both behind the scenes and on public engagement­s – now that her husband of almost 70 years is stepping down.

It is understood that William’s decision to quit his job as an air ambulance pilot and return to London with his young family this autumn was prompted by his grandfathe­r’s decision to step down.

In addition to the two orderlies, William and Kate are expanding their household in other ways.

The Mail can reveal they have poached Natalie Matthews from

the private offices of Clarence House to work as an assistant private secretary for Kate. This is in addition to her principal private secretary, Rebecca Deacon, who is leaving this summer after ten years in royal service and will also be replaced.

They have also recently hired a second housekeepe­r for their Norfolk home Anmer House – 35-year- old Emma Boyce, who previously worked for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie for a decade.

A Sandringha­m insider said the mother- of-two she was a ‘welcome addition’, adding: ‘She is very popular and friendly and George and Charlotte already get on well with her and her kids – she has a boy and a girl.’ Mrs Boyce will join existing Anmer Hall housekeepe­r Sadie Rice, Kensington Palace housekeepe­r Antonella Fresolone and Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s Spanish nanny Maria Borrallo.

The source said: ‘When William and Kate first got married they wanted to have a very small staff and do everything themselves.

‘They have loved their family life hidden away in Norfolk while he has been working as an air ambulance pilot, but the Queen kept telling them they needed more staff and that they were being unrealisti­c.

‘It seems that given the Duke of Edinburgh’s decision to retire they are finally taking her advice and taking on more help.

‘They are going to be performing a lot more duties and they need the support behind the scenes.’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK