Oscars host quits three days after he’s hired in homophobia storm
COMEDIAN Kevin Hart has stepped down as host of the 2019 Oscars over his past homophobic tweets.
The stand-up performer had been unveiled as the ceremony’s presenter on Tuesday, describing the role as ‘the opportunity of a lifetime’.
But shortly after his appointment, critics highlighted offensive messages the actor posted online between 2009 and 2011. One tweet said: ‘If my son comes home and try’s (sic) 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice “stop that’s gay”.’
Hart was ordered to apologise by Oscars bosses, but yesterday stepped down instead. ‘I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists,’ he said. ‘I sincerely apologise to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.
‘I’m sorry that I hurt people … I am evolving and want to continue to do so.’
Organisers now face a race against time to find a replacement. The Academy Awards will take place in Los Angeles on Sunday, February 24.
Stepped down: Hart