Len wants us all to keep mov­ing

Daily Mail - - Freeview Primetime Planner -

LEN GOODMAN is still jiv­ing with the best of them. De­spite two se­ri­ous op­er­a­tions and arthri­tis, the for­mer Strictly Come Danc­ing head judge says he is as ‘...fit as a bis­cuit and ready to rum­ble’.

Such is the 74-year-old’s ap­petite for life that he re­cently helped launch #Let­sGetMov­ing — a cam­paign to en­cour­age peo­ple who suf­fer from os­teoarthri­tis joint pain and stiff­ness to stay ac­tive.

The fleet-footed for­mer BBC stal­wart (right) sat down with the mak­ers of a drug-free gel, for­mu­lated for peo­ple with os­teoarthri­tis, to dis­cuss how he deals with achy joints. The se­cret is mo­ti­va­tion. He says: ‘As much as I sometimes think, “oh, I won’t go to the gym this morn­ing”, I drag my­self there none­the­less. Even if it’s just to do a lit­tle wan­der on the tread­mill or cross-trainer, or just a cheeky swim.

‘I don’t need to mo­ti­vate my­self to play golf. I ab­so­lutely love it and it’s great ex­er­cise, too. Any­thing that gets you mo­ti­vated to move is ter­rific. You’ve got to stay ac­tive.’

He says: ‘When I had my knee surgery, my sur­geon said: “Lis­ten, the op­er­a­tion is only 20 per cent of it, the other 80 per cent is you ex­er­cis­ing and mov­ing and get­ting your­self mo­bile.”

‘I took that to heart and ex­er­cised ev­ery day.

‘You’re like a shark when you get older. You have to keep mov­ing! If you’re achy, take it easy. If you’re feel­ing good, em­brace it.

‘But give your­self a gen­tle nudge to get go­ing. It will do you and your joints the world of good! Once you get your­self mov­ing, it makes you feel great, men­tally and phys­i­cally.’

To help in­spire peo­ple who are suf­fer­ing from os­teoarthri­tis, Len wants to en­cour­age the Bri­tish pub­lic to share their mo­bil­ity sto­ries on Twit­ter or Face­book, us­ing the hash­tag #Let­sGetMov­ing.

The most in­spir­ing will win a year’s supply of the gel (T&Cs ap­ply).

Pic­ture: FLEXISEQ

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.