How to claim for the dam­age when your car gets that sink­ing feel­ing

Daily Mirror - - NEWS -

If you’ve dam­aged your car on a pot­hole, chances are it is the lo­cal coun­cil who will be li­able to pay for the re­pairs. Here are some tips on what to do... Collect ev­i­dence: Take pho­to­graphs of the pot­hole and note the size and depth. Also make sure to do the same for the dam­age caused to your ve­hi­cle.

As­sess the dam­age: You need to know how much it is go­ing to cost to re­pair so go to a garage and ask them to give you a writ­ten quote of how much it will cost to fix.

Make a re­port: Coun­cils al­low you to re­port pot­holes via their web­sites and tell them about any dam­age. If not, phone them di­rectly and ask for the num­ber of the rel­e­vant depart­ment. When you make a re­port in­clude all the pic­tures you’ve taken and the quote of how much it will cost to fix. The coun­cil will re­view your ev­i­dence and de­cide if they think it is re­spon­si­ble. If the coun­cil turns down your claim you can con­test their de­ci­sion in small claims court but this Dam­age will cost you at least £80.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.