Arena po­lice hero ‘right to ig­nore plan’


PRAISE Chief Ian Hop­kins A PO­LICE of­fi­cer who saved lives in the Manch­ester Arena terror at­tack by ig­nor­ing of­fi­cial pro­to­col has been praised by his chief con­sta­ble.

Greater Manch­ester po­lice chief Ian Hop­kins said the of­fi­cer, who was “too hum­ble” to want to be named, had made “ab­so­lutely the right de­ci­sion”.

Un­der plans for a terror siege, armed of­fi­cers are sup­posed to form a cor­don around the site to make it eas­ier to find the at­tacker.

But in­stead of with­draw­ing po­lice help­ing the dy­ing and in­jured, the of­fi­cer let them stay.

Mr Hop­kins said: “It was a hugely coura­geous de­ci­sion... it was the right one.”

Bells will ring across the city at 10.31pm on Tues­day to mark a year since the at­tack in which 22 died. VI­O­LENT Wal­lace hurled acid over ex VIC­TIM Mark be­fore the hor­ror assault

THE jeal­ous woman whose acid at­tack on her sleep­ing ex-boyfriend led him to end his life has been found not guilty of his mur­der.

Newly re­leased pho­tos show the bed that was burnt by the liq­uid dur­ing Ber­li­nah Wal­lace’s assault on Mark van Don­gen.

Yes­ter­day a jury con­cluded Wal­lace, 48, was guilty of throw­ing a cor­ro­sive sub­stance with in­tent to cause GBH – which has a max­i­mum sen­tence of life – but that her ac­tions did not amount to mur­der. Mark’s dad Kees, who was in tears in court, has called Wal­lace “the devil personified”.

He said he was “dis­ap­pointed in the out­come of the case”.

The dis­traught dad added: “Mark was so brave when con­fronted with the hellish pain and dis­abil­i­ties in­flicted on him, but even­tu­ally it all be­came too much for him to bear.”

He said “we ex­plored ev­ery av­enue” be­fore he ac­cepted his 29-year-old son’s de­ci­sion to have an as­sisted sui­cide. Mark was hor­rif­i­cally y dis­fig­ured by the at­tack in Bris­tol in 2015.

The en­gi­neer’s face, arms, neck and legs were se­verely burnt.

Mark was left blind in one eye and par­tially sighted in the other. He was also paral­ysed from the neck down and had to have part of his left leg am­pu­tated af­ter de­vel­op­ing an in­fec­tion.

The three-week trial heard that he told po­lice he was awo­ken by the at­tack at 3am.

He was so brave about the hellish pain but it be­came too much for him


GRIM SCENE Bed where Mark was at­tacked

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.