Daily Record

How to get TV licence reprieve in care home


MY mum is moving into a care home. Does she need to pay a TV Licence?

SHE may not have to pay for a TV licence, or she may be entitled to a discount.

If she is 75 or older and in receipt of Pension Credit, she will not have to pay for a TV licence whether she is in a care home or not.

If she does not receive Pension Credit or she is under 75 years old, many care homes and sheltered accommodat­ions have a special type of licence in place which could mean she is entitled to a discount.

as a resident of a care home, she may be able to benefit from something called a Concession­ary TV Licence.

This is known as an accommodat­ion for Residentia­l Care (aRC).

To qualify, applicants need to be living in eligible accommodat­ion, be 60 years old or over, retired or not working more than 15 hours per week, or be classed as disabled.

It costs £7.50 per room, flat or bungalow and will only be needed if she watches TV in her own room or flat instead of in a communal space such as a resident’s lounge.

If the care home or your mum do not qualify for the criteria mentioned, the full £159 licence fee will have to be paid. You should speak to the care home manager to apply, as they are responsibl­e for arranging this type of licence.

I BOUGHT a new car recently and it’s faulty. What are my rights?

THE Consumer Rights act of 2015 states that when you buy a car or vehicle from a trader, it should be of satisfacto­ry quality.

This means the car should be in the condition expected, which includes being free from faults as described by the trader and fit for purpose.

If it’s been 30 days or less since you bought the car and you do not believe it was of satisfacto­ry quality when you bought it, then you could be entitled to a full refund, however you may have to prove it was faulty at the time of sale.

This is called your short-term right to reject.

If you bought the car more than 30 days ago, ask the trader to repair or replace the vehicle.

You only need to give the trader one opportunit­y to do this.

If neither repair nor refund are possible, or the replacemen­t vehicle is faulty, you can choose to give the trader another chance or ask for a refund.

This is called your final right to reject. If you return the vehicle for a refund, you should receive it within 14 days. Refunds should be provided using the same payment method you used for the purchase — for instance, if you paid in cash, you can expect to receive cash.

There are a couple of points worth bearing in mind, however.

If you ask the trader for a repair or replacemen­t within the first six months or purchase, it’s up to the trader to prove it was not faulty when they sold it to you.

after six months, it is your responsibi­lity.

The trader may also only be able to offer a partial refund if you have had the car for more than 30 days. This is to account for wear and tear.

If you have not already done so, speak to the trader and try to come to an agreement. This can be followed with a formal letter of complaint, if needed.

 ?? ?? SWITCHED ON Check out what concession­s are available to care home residents
SWITCHED ON Check out what concession­s are available to care home residents

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom