Daily Star Sunday
Crunchy quinoa and bean burgers
200g white quinoa
100g kale, washed and roughly chopped
250g black turtle beans
1 beetroot, washed and grated
1 large carrot, washed and grated
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp Knorr concentrated liquid vegetable stock
150g oatmeal, ground in a food processor
2 tbsp olive oil
4 large wholegrain burger buns
For dressing the burgers: 80g red onion, sliced thinly
1 avocado, sliced
3 orange tomatoes, sliced thinly
80g lettuce mixed with watercress
● Combine the quinoa and water in a mediumsized saucepan then bring it to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and leave it to cook for about 20 minutes.
● Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the kale and cook for
3 minutes. Remove the kale and put immediately into a bowl of cold water. Drain and set aside.
● Mash the quinoa and beans with a potato masher, add the grated beetroot, carrot and kale and stir well.
● Add the spices, stock and oatmeal and stir until it forms a mass.
● Divide the mixture into four balls and then form each into a patty. Let them set in the fridge for 15 minutes.
● Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil, wait until hot and add the patties. Cook on each side for
2-3 minutes until lightly browned and solid. Repeat until all patties are done, adding more oil as needed.
● Serve the burgers on the burger buns topped with the dressings.