End of road for famed bike building
DERBY’S Samways Cycles’ building, where countless folk have bought bikes for years, has been demolished. It came down last month and the Ashbourne Road site is now likely to become flats.
The business was founded in 1932 and was a landmark in Derby for decades, run by three generations of the Samways family.
It was founded by the grandfather of Nick Samways, who ran the shop with wife Kate until it closed in 2016.
Nick’s father, Alan, ran the busi- The Ashbourne Road shop closed in 2016 Kate Samways at the opening of the women’s department in 2016
ness for many years before handing it over to Nick, although he remained involved in the operation.
By the 1950s, Samways had become Derby’s foremost cycling shop and ‘Samways for the Highways’ was emblazoned on the frontage. At this point, the shop was off Ashbourne Road, close to where Brick Street meets Nuns Street. During the 1980s, there was a branch in Belper and the Derby store relocated to Ashbourne Road where it traded between 1984 and 2016. Inside the shop in 2008 Ken Scott took part in a sponsored cycle ride on part of the Tour de France route in 1999 Alan and Nick Samways at the Ashbourne Road shop in 2008 The Samways store in the 1950s, also above Samways sponsored a bike ride from Lands End to John O’Groats in 1999 Scooters outside in the 1950s