After left 17th-century
Beech House and right-turn ‘Durrant’, cross to the footpathsigned ‘Coach Road’ kissing-gate into a meadow. Follow the raised Coach Road path, turning off left to a kissing-gate into a fenced path. Up into Church Lane, turn right along the narrow lane. Past Stour Grange, the much-extended vicarage which stood at the end of Coach Road drive, arrive at St Mary’s Church. Built in 1486 by Abbot John Selwood, St
Mary’s was rebuilt in 1825 by the Reverend Lane Fox. Pass around the south (right) side, with fine views, and leave by the iron gate and steps. Turn left along Church Walk to Penny Street. Cross into Gotts Corner. French Huguenots fleeing Catholic oppression settled here in the 17th century and introduced cloth-making to Sturminster. ‘Dashwoods’, the original ‘Vine House’ where Barnes was first employed, is higher left up Penny Street. Walk between cottages to the end path and footpath kissing-gate. Through, turn left for ‘Butts
Pond’ along the field’s left edge. Through the corner kissing-gate and up steps to the old railway ‘Trailway’, turn left.
Monument to the old market site
Dashwoods, the original Vine House where William Barnes worked
The Trailway follows the former route of the local railways