Dunfermline Press

Kelty let fly in cup win

- By Clare Buchanan Reporter cbuchanan@dunfermlin­epress.co.uk

KELTY boss Michael Tidser hailed his team’s “grit and determinat­ion” after two spectacula­r second half goals was enough to beat Hamilton Accies.

The team will now face Ayr United in January as reward for their deserved victory in Lanarkshir­e.

“It was a really difficult game,” he told Kelty Hearts TV. “We knew how tough it was going to be.

“They beat us at the start of the season but I said to the lads before the game, and I say it most weeks, I have real belief in them and we showed that today.

“We had to ride our luck at times and soak up the pressure.

“We are on a good run, beating Queen of the South last week and beating Hamilton, that is two full time clubs.

“I have said it all season, I have got real belief in this group. I demand so much and I can be a torn faced so-and-so at times but the boys are giving me everything.

“The work rate they are putting in and the desire they have shown, they deserve a wee bit of luck.

“That is into the next round - it is something not just for us as players. I have been here for four years, I know how it works .

“It is something for us all to look at and get excited about because you want to try and test yourself in the cup as you don’t know what can happen.

“I am really pleased for everyone at the club, not just for just the players, the whole staff, the backroom staff, all the board members.”

Kelty fans who had made the journey to Lanarkshir­e were treated to two superb strikes courtesy of

Reece Lyon and Lewis Moore.

Tidser was unsurprise­d by the quality finishes.

“The strikes were absolute different class,” he added. “A brilliant finish from Reece then Moore-eys (Lewis Moore) was probably even better.

“They have got real quality and Reece, I think has had six or seven goals and most of his goals have got real quality in them.

“Wee Moore-ey, first half he was quiet, I know he was getting frustrated. I had a wee word with him at half time then he goes and puts that in the top corner.”

Saturday’s game had been a tight affair until Lyon’s rocket shot broke the deadlock and went onto grab another goal to put them into the hat for the next round.

The first half offered some attractive football from both sides with neither side managing to find that final finishing touch.

In the opening minutes, Kelty goalie Kyle Gourlay was called into action to prevent an early home goal.

Kyle Macdonald’s cross found Kevin O’Hara whose touch looked like it was destined for the back of the net. Gourlay rose and managed to palm the ball over the crossbar.

Former Kelty player Jamie Barjonas was in on the action on when he produced a long range effort which was stopped by Gourlay.

Kelty had their first real chance on goal shortly before the half hour mark. Reece Lyon got his head on a Jamie Walker cross but Ryan Fulton managed to put the ball out for a corner.

The resulting set piece saw Botti Biabi nod an effort wide.

Euan Henderson had two efforts for Accies just before half time. The first, a shot from just outside the box, bobbled close to Gourlay but the keeper eventually managed to get his hands on it.

Moments later, he found himself with the ball in the box but had his shot blocked.

Early in the second half, Gourlay did well again to stop a long-range shot after a corner. Kelty went up the park minutes later.

Lewis Moore crossed across the face of goal but no-one was there to capitalise.

Hamilton then took the ball up the other end of the park and the ball came to O’Hara in the box, he shot across goal and his effort goes wide Kelty snatched the lead on 65 mins.

Great work from Lewis Moore saw him lay the ball across to Reece Lyon whose took the ball on the edge of the box and bulleted the ball into the back of the net.

Less than ten minutes later, Kelty doubled their lead with another stunning effort. It was Moore this time who picked the ball up outside the box, turned and fired the ball from range into the back of the net.

Buoyed on by the success, Kelty had several long-range efforts in the closing minutes through Moore, McCluskey and Lyons but were unable to make it three.

The game finished with late drama when Accies’ Jackson Longridge was giving his marching orders in injury time after picking up a second yellow card for a challenge close to the Kelty box.

Hamilton Accies: Fulton, Longridge, Barjonas (Smith 61), Henderson (Zanatta 61), Martin, O’Hara, Macdonald, McGowan, Tait (Mumbungo 77), Tumilty (McGlynn 77), Newbury (Hewitt 77). Subs: Smith, O’Brien, Murray, McGinn.

Bookings: Longridge; Red card: Longridge

Kelty Hearts: Gourlay, Corbett, Walker, Thomson, Lyon, Johnston, Cunningham (McCluskey 56), Tidser (Owens 89), Biabi (Daramola 73), Owens, Moore. Subs: Campbell, Owens, Sylla, Cameron.

Goals: Lyon (65), Moore (74) Booked: Tidser.

 ?? Image: David Wardle ?? Lewis Moore hit another wonder strike on Saturday to help see off Hamilton Accies in the Scotttish Cup.
Image: David Wardle Lewis Moore hit another wonder strike on Saturday to help see off Hamilton Accies in the Scotttish Cup.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom