THE BIG PIC­TURE

EADT Suffolk - - THE DIARY -

Aldeburgh beach’s two look­outs were built in about 1830, so the towns­folk could keep an eye out for ships in trou­ble. The south tower, pic­tured here, and its ad­join­ing boathouse were later used by fish­er­men for stor­age. For 30 years the au­thor Sir Lau­rens van der Post climbed up to the look­out’s tiny sec­ond-floor room to write. To­day, it is an art haven run by art cu­ra­tor Caro­line Wiseman. alde­burgh­beachlook­out.com

Pho­to­graph by He­len Hot­son/ Alamy

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.