The Ferguson Club was formed in 1986 to promote interest in the work of the late Harry Ferguson. Born in 1884 in the village of Growell, near Belfast, where his parents owned a farm, Harry decided the drudgery of 19th century farming was not for him. With a gift for all things mechanical, he joined his brother’s garage. During the First World War, he came across tractors, cumbersome beasts which towed the plough with a chain. Deciding there must be a better way, he set about designing a system in which tractor and plough were an integral unit. The Ferguson System of 3-point hydraulic linkage became the industry standard and is still used on almost all tractors today.