POINTS OF INTEREST
The pretty thatched church of All Saints stands well north of Salhouse village, on the road to Wroxham. The church dates back to the 14th century but what makes it unusual is that it appears to have never been completed, and the top of the tower was left unfinished, giving it an oddly proportioned look.
In the tower hangs a pair of bells, one cast in 1481 by Richard Brasyer, a famous brass founder and goldsmith of Norwich. It probably came to Salhouse from the monastery at Oxburgh when it was suppressed by Henry VIII. The other bell was possibly an original 14th century bell but was cracked and had to be recast in 1630.
The medieval core of the church was restored in the Victorian period, but many medieval features remain. The north arcade is 14th century, with five bays separated by octagonal piers. One arcade capital is carved with small heads, the others with foliage decoration. One of the most interesting features is not medieval at all; the stained-glass windows date from the Victorian restoration and are an excellent example of late 19th century craftsmanship. The windows were installed during restoration in 1881.