From Rot­ten Row

City’s road names have in­trigu­ing con­nec­tions

Evening Telegraph (First Edition) - - Court Reports - BY STEVEN RAE

FROM streets named af­ter Beano char­ac­ters, to one with a con­nec­tion to Wil­liam Wal­lace and another named af­ter a type of fish, the city has its quirky thor­ough­fares.

The in­trigu­ing his­tory be­hind some of Dundee’s most mem­o­rable street names has been doc­u­mented by his­to­ri­ans across t he city, in­clud­ing Dundee Civic Trust and Leisure and Cul­ture Dundee.

Here, the Tele takes a look at the back story of some of the names which stand out most.

The ba­sic street pat­tern from medieval times in the cen­tre of the city re­mains the same. The town plan was de­scribed by the Rev Robert Edward in 1678 as: “Di­vided into four prin­ci­pal streets, rep­re­sent­ing a hu­man body, stretched on its back with its arms to­wards the west and its legs to­wards the east.”

Sea­gate was the first area of set­tle­ment in Dundee, dat­ing to around the 11th Cen­tury, and is one of the city’s old­est sur­viv­ing streets. It was the mar­ket cen­tre un­til the town grad­u­ally de­vel­oped west­wards.

The old shore of the Tay once ran par­al­lel along­side the east end of the Sea­gate.

How­ever, the name Sea­gate was a curious choice, given the street led to and from the River Tay – not the sea.

The Mur­ray­gate, which runs par­al­lel to the Sea­gate, is another of the city’s old­est streets. The name is thought to be de­rived from ‘Moray Gait’ af­ter Ran­dolph, Earl of Moray, a com­pan­ion-at-arms of Wil­liam

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.