Smith refuses to be drawn over fresh Scots link
RANGERS boss Walter Smith has refused to comment on reports linking him with the vacant Scotland job once again.
Smith, 61, ruled himself out of the running to replace George Burley and make a dramatic return to the national team last month.
Speaking at the time, the veteran boss said : “I don’t feel it would be right to go back and that is the situation. The matter is now closed as far as I am concerned.”
However, the Scottish Football Association appear undeterred in their efforts to see Smith reinstalled in the post he quit to return to Rangers back in January 2007.
The SFA board met at Hampden on Thursday where they reportedly decided to approach Smith and persuade him to consider a second spell at the Scotland helm.
It’s under stood that phone call has yet to be made and, so far, there has been no contact between the two parties.
However, Smith appeared to stand by the statement he made in the wake of Burley’s sacking when quizzed about the Scotland job yesterday, insisting: “I’ve got no further comment to make on that aspect at all.”
Dundee United boss Craig Levein remains a front-runner for the job, along with Smith, despite the Tannadice club’s reluctance to lose him.
Dan Petrescu – who masterminded Unirea Urziceni’s 4-1 win over Rangers at Ibrox and could yet lead the Romanian club into the last 16 of the Champions League – has not applied for the vacancy but is understood to be open to an approach.
Meanwhile, Celtic midfielder Barry Robson has urged the SFA to appoint his former boss Levein as national coach.
Robson, who worked under Levein at United before his move to Parkhead, believes the search should extend no further than Tannadice.
The Scotland midfielder said: “I hope the SFA do go and get him because he is a top manager. I’ve worked with a few good managers in my time and he is up there with all of them. The job he has done at Dundee United is incredible.”