THE PAST IN COLOUR
No prizes for guessing where this picture was taken but how many of us can pinpoint the exact location of Tobermory?
The second letter O has fallen off the pier offices and it looks like the first letter O is going the same way! A sailor is reading a newspaper on the left while next to him is a man who appears to be using a mobile phone. However, as the photograph dates from the early Sixties it must be either a ship- to- shore radio or he is simply smoking a cigarette!
A young man is leaning on the rails of a MacBrayne ferry, an old family company which was acquired in 1973 by the Caledonian Steam Packet Company who renamed it Caledonian MacBrayne. Today it runs a large number of ferries connecting several of the Western Isles of Scotland to the mainland.
A jovial man in a kilt is either welcoming or watching the Oban ferry depart, while behind him is a Bedford lorry loaded with what look like bags of gravel. Times change, however, and the ferry now runs to Craignure leaving the Tobermory pier to small fishing boats. The office buildings survive, however, occupied by a well- known restaurant called “Cafe Fish”, but where is it?
Tobermory is Gaelic and means “Mary’s Well”. With a wonderfully colourful seafront it is the capital of the Isle of Mull and also inspired a Womble name! Legend suggests a fleeing Spanish galleon sank in the harbour in 1588 but no trace has ever been found. Look it up on a map!