Famous Names in Football
IN 1886, two junior clubs from north- west London merged to form St Jude’s FC, and later changed their name to Queens Park Rangers, as most of their players lived in that district.
Initially in the West London League, the club was admitted to the Southern League in 1899 after turning professional. At this level they twice won the Southern League Championship, in 1908 and 1912.
In their early years, QPR played at various grounds before settling at their current home, Loftus Road near Shepherd’s Bush, in 1917.
Following the expansion of the Football League in 1920, QPR joined the new Third Division and played at this level during the inter- war period. Despite being bottom twice during the 1920s, the club’s fortunes improved the following decade.
When football resumed after the war, they were runners- up in 1947 and secured promotion the following season. Success was fleeting and they were back in familiar territory in 1952 where they stayed until the 1966- 67 season, when not only was promotion secured, but they also became the first Third Division team to win a trophy at Wembley, beating West Bromwich Albion in the League Cup Final.
Further promotion was achieved the following season, so in 1968 QPR competed at the highest level. Although this first try only lasted one season, 1973 was much better, and in 1975- 76 they finished runners- up.
Since then QPR have enjoyed three spells in the Premier League, the last being in season 2014- 15, and in 1982 reached the Final of the FA Cup only to lose 1- 0 to Tottenham Hotspur in a replay following a one- all draw in the first match.
QUEENS PARK RANGERS, 1905- 06 Back row: ( Players only) W. Yenson, P. Larney, A. Hitch, M. Kingsley, S. Downing, G. Newlands. Front row: N. Murphy, S. Sugden, F. Bevan, G. Ryder, A. Gardner.