Glossop Advertiser - - News - Tom Togher

can­celled, you are en­ti­tled to a re­place­ment flight or a re­fund. If your checked-in lug­gage is de­layed, lost or dam­aged you may be able to claim on your travel in­surance. You can claim com­pen­sa­tion straight from the air­line but they usu­ally of­fer less fi­nan­cial com­pen­sa­tion. Travel in­surance CHEAP travel in­surance can keep your ini­tial costs down but of­ten has high ex­cess charges if you need to claim. Com­pare the full range of costs.

Make sure your travel in­surance cov­ers ev­ery­thing you want to do on hol­i­day. Some poli­cies ex­clude ac­tiv­i­ties such as wa­ter sports or trekking. Some poli­cies won’t pay out in cer­tain cir­cum­stances - like hav­ing an ac­ci­dent while un­der the in­flu­ence of al­co­hol. Read the small print be­fore you buy.

Be aware of the risks of high med­i­cal costs in some coun­tries, in­clud­ing the costs of trav­el­ling back home if in­jured or un­well. This is some­thing that you should think about hav­ing the right in­surance for.

When trav­el­ling through­out the Euro­pean Union you should make sure you have a valid Euro­pean Health In­surance Card. This is avail­able for free from the govern­ment web­site www.­pean-health­in­sur­ance-card, or by phon­ing 0300 330 1350 (be­ware of im­poster pay for ser­vices!) . If your travel com­pany or air­line goes bust IF your hol­i­day com­pany or air­line goes bust but is a mem­ber of the Air Travel Organisers’ Li­cens­ing (ATOL) then you should be able to get a re­fund if you haven’t trav­elled, or be able to fin­ish your hol­i­day with­out ex­tra costs if you are al­ready there.

There are lim­ited op­tions if it isn’t cov­ered by ATOL but you could try get­ting money back from your credit or debit com­pany if you paid by card and you’re not of­fered an al­ter­na­tive op­tion. Or you could see if you’re cov­ered by your in­surance. Pass­ports and visas IF you need to ap­ply for an emer­gency UK pass­port you can ap­ply to use the emer­gency one day ser­vice, but you will need to get an ap­point­ment at the Pass­port of­fice in Liver­pool, phone 0300 222 0000. Some coun­tries re­quire sev­eral months’ va­lid­ity for a pass­port. Check whether you need a visa for travel by vis­it­ing­eign­travel-ad­vice.

If your pass­port is lost or stolen while abroad, re­port the loss to the lo­cal po­lice and go to the near­est con­sular of­fice. Usu­ally, af­ter checking with Her Majesty’s Pass­port Of­fice, the con­sular of­fice will is­sue a new pass­port, which in some cases may have its va­lid­ity re­stricted to one year or less. The re­place­ment pass­port will be valid for all the same coun­tries as the orig­i­nal pass­port. A fee will be charged for is­su­ing the re­place­ment pass­port.

If your pass­port is lost or stolen abroad and you need to leave the coun­try quickly, the con­sular of­fice can is­sue a sin­gle jour­ney emer­gency pass­port to al­low you to re­turn to the UK. This will be taken from you when you ar­rive in the UK. If the client is plan­ning to re­turn to the UK through sev­eral other coun­tries, the con­sular of­fice may in­stead is­sue a pass­port valid for a short lim­ited time WE are in­creas­ingly liv­ing our lives on­line, I can re­mem­ber a time be­fore so­cial me­dia and email.

Now we would strug­gle to carry out day-to-day tasks such as pay­ing bills or do­ing school work with­out ac­cess to the in­ter­net.

But for all the ben­e­fits be­ing on­line brings, it also brings a world that was not de­signed with young peo­ple in mind, and with that comes chal­lenges. But just as we teach chil­dren to be safe in the real world, like not talk­ing to strangers, we must ap­ply the same prac­tice to their lives on­line. When 0161 330 1133

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.