Cat’s death Safety warn­ing af­ter ‘anti-freeze squirted at fam­ily pet’

Gloucestershire Echo - - NEWS - By MELISSA JONES

THIS pic­ture shows the ef­fect of a cat’s need­less death due to some­one squirt­ing anti-freeze at him, his fam­ily say.

Ten-year-old Caitlin and her sis­ter Em­i­lie, eight, were with Harry in his fi­nal mo­ments.

Their mother Lucy Webb, from Chel­tenham, took their beloved pet to the vets last week when they dis­cov­ered he was lethar­gic and off his food.

Af­ter fur­ther ex­am­i­na­tion, it was noted the four-year-old cat had dots of residue on his neck and stom­ach­which a vet at Chel­tenham An­i­mal Shel­ter said it looked like he had been squirted with anti-freeze.

The liq­uid, which is used in ve­hi­cles to stop the ra­di­a­tors from freez­ing or over­heat­ing, can cause kid­ney fail­ure and death when in­gested by cats.

Who­ever sprayed it at Harry gave him a death sen­tence, Lucy said.

“It has just bro­ken all of our hearts,” said the mum-of-two, who had to have Harry put to sleep on Tues­day.

“My girls have lost a lot in their young lives, my mum and dad passed away and they have been so up­set.

“We were all on the floor with him when he went. The vet said he was poi­soned by anti-freeze.

“The marks sug­gested some­one had squirted it at him.”

Ms Webb first no­ticed some­thing was wrong last Mon­day, when Harry was curled up in an old car seat in the gar­den.

She brought him in­side while she went out, hop­ing he would perk up, but when she re­turned he was sleepy and fell over when she tried to get him on his feet.

Harry was taken to shel­ter where at first he re­sponded to treat­ment, but then he went down­hill.

His mouth was cov­ered in ab­scesses and the only other pro­ce­dure they could do would have been drawn outand not guar­an­teed to work.

“Our other cat Tilly, his mother, is pin­ing for him,” said Ms Webb.

“I picked up his col­lar and the bell rang, she jumped up in the win­dow and thought he had come back.

“The an­i­mals don’t un­der­stand where he has gone.

Harry’s death is the sec­ond in a week due to anti-freeze poi­son­ing, as an­other cat was found gravely ill on Gar­nalls Road, Mat­son.

The an­i­mal was taken to Spa Vets in the city, but he be­gan suf­fer­ing seizures and died later that day. A spokesper­son for the clinic told its fol­low­ers on Face­book: “We are very sad to re­port that un­for­tu­nately, de­spite our best ef­forts, this poor boy didn’t make it.

“His con­di­tion was con­sis­tent with some sort of toxic ex­po­sure, pos­si­bly an­tifreeze. Cats like the taste and can lick where peo­ple have ac­ci­den­tally spilt it when re­fill­ing their car screen wash.”

The RSPCA says symp­toms can in­clude vom­it­ing, a drunk-like un­co­or­di­nated state and breath­ing dif­fi­cul­ties.

Signs can ap­pear 30 min­utes af­ter in­ges­tion. Most deaths are avoid­able and peo­ple are ad­vised to keep an­tifreeze con­tain­ers safely locked away.

Caitlin, 10 and Em­i­lie, eight, with their dy­ing cat Harry

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.